I love random lists. Brad Lomenick over at Catalyst had a great top 5 he asked a few days ago: If I had 10 minutes with 5 people, choosing from anyone currently living, who would it be? What a great question!
Here is my attempt to answer:
1. Bill Hybels, Pastor, Willow Creek: Having Hybels on my list (and at #1) is really going to surprise some people who know me. I am not this diehard Willow guy, but Hybels has always fascinated me. 25 years ago he had a passion and calling to reach the people in his generation. He understood that the methods of his day were not working and as a result his generation was nowhere to be found when it came to the Church. I would love to sit down with him and hear all about it.
2. Garth Brooks: I am not a huge fan of his music or that annoying scream he does at his concerts when he gets excited…but this guy seriously changed country music. It is fair to say that about 100% of the mainstream country music scene would not have jobs if it wasn’t for Garth. He made country music matter to people who have teeth and are not married to their cousin. Of course…he got accused of selling out, abandoning his country roots and the whole deal–but I would love to hangout with anyone that has had a culture changing influence like Garth has.
3. The Southern Baptist Convention: Just to tell them to get a freakin clue when it comes to reaching the next generation.
4. Andy Stanley:I think Andy is the greatest communicator in America today. I would love some pointers!
5. Bobby Knight: The guy knows a thing or two about leadership victories and mistakes. I would just love to talk to him about motivating people. The guy won games with average talented white dudes from Indiana…amazing.